One thing that I’ve noticed is how inefficient most calculator apps on the desktop computer are. Not just from a computational point of view, but from a user interface point of view.
It seems the vast majority of them are more of an exercise in UI element layout than in producing a practical computation application. This got me thinking about my needs, as an engineering student (soon to be full fledged graduate engineer, if everything goes to plan this month).
Python, Octave (or Matlab) and the calculator applet in KDE’s Kicker, are probably the most useful as far as practical calculators in my experience. There are probably others… these mostly use the keyboard for input and have a minimal interface. I find KDE’s kicker applet works well for quick calculations, with Python or Octave taking up the slack for more complex stuff. I’ve experimented with x48… the HP48 is indeed an awesome piece of kit… but why should an app limit itself to the confines of a real-world device?
I did some thinking about this… and coding. RPN calculators are conceptually very easy. All the values are placed on a stack, operations pop off operands from this stack, then place the result back on the stack. They’re also very easy to code, especially in a high-level language like Perl. I set to work coding up a RPN calculator.
RPN calculators in my experience take a bit of getting used to, but often are more convenient in the end, than a regular calculator. The limitation though is one can easily get themselves tied in knots with the stack… you find that you didn’t push the elements on in the right order, and so you find yourself popping it all off to have another go.
Thus, with my app, I decided to experiment with a multi-stack concept. In addition, sometimes it’s nice to copy a calculation made into a temporary space where it won’t get buried in the stack… so each stack has an associative array for the storage of variables.
RPNCalc is a first stab at this calculator concept. It has a few limitations, but works reasonably well. Its biggest limitation is complex math, or rather, the lack of it. I thought I had done well until I encountered a problem that needed it.
The code is also a monolithic mess… so I’ve began re-writing it in an effort to produce a workable project for public release. HanoiCalc is the current working title for this new calculator app. At the moment, it’s little more than two Perl modules, one which provides the stack, the other providing all the operations… but it should serve as a basis for a workable RPN calculator. It uses complex maths by default (most calculations will just use the real part, ignoring the imaginary component).
I’ve held off implementing scripting… which could be done providing more power… but that’s beyond the scope of what I want to achieve at this point. I’ve tossed the code I’ve got presently into a git repository for now… you can either browse it via gitweb or clone git://git.longlandclan.yi.org/hanoicalc.git for yourself to play with.
I plan to add a user interface over the coming week. The API is simple enough, so GUI interfaces (even ones that pretend to be real calculators) are possible.